Welcome to the Home Performance Forum.

This site is read-only for archival purposes. Please visit BPA Connnections to continue the conversation.

I'd like feedback on graduating certifications in BPI. Some of us move out of the field into policy and advocacy roles. Is it time for an emeritus certification level in BPI for senior members?

Comments

• If it is any help, BPI professionals do get a bit of a pass after 9 years:
    "4.2 Individuals renewing certifications for the third time or anytime thereafter (Time certified: 9 years) No field exam is required for individuals attempting to renew their certification after the ninth (9th) consecutive year of being certified in a particular designation."
    So if old-timers get enough BPI CEUs to get out of the written exam requirement, and stick around long enough, BPI just wants their $300 to stay certified for another 3 years.
  • Don't forget the CEU's. It's better, but it's a little over the top. If you are in the industry, why not make it lifetime, like many other certifications?
  • kdevoekdevoe Posts: 2
    Interesting that you should ask, because my BPI B.A. certification is up for renewal for the third time in October, and I wrote BPI asking the very same question as you did, James. I am a Utility Energy Conservation Engineer who manages and develops new EE programs and no longer does QC in the field or trains contractors in Buildings Science and HVAC design and Cx. I just don't have the teaching hours and CEU's to test out this time. I asked BPI if there was any consideration for a certification for those of us with decades of knowledge and experience, who have graduated into managing and program development roles and don't do field work anymore.
    The certification person that replied said no, but they would take it to management for consideration. If enough of us "old-timers" ask it may gain some momentum. And BPI can keep making $300 every 3 years...otherwise even though I'd like to keep my BPI certification, I'm letting it go.
  • Our good friends at BPI may not have realized what a wealth of senior participation they COULD have with an emeritus standing.
  • Good idea James. BPI seems particularly harsh with their recertification deadlines. They have lost a number of certified professionals, who for one reason or another, did not get their recertification application submitted in time. Unlike BOC and similar certifications that allow for late recertification applications with a penalty, BPI says to its certified professionals who have missed their recertification date: "Start over. You must re-take both the written and field exams." Ouch!
  • Paul RaymerPaul Raymer Posts: 103
    Maybe we should start a Senior Building Science Certification!
  • Agreed Paul Raymer. I been having lots of senior moments lately....
  • I think BPI needs us and our expertise and advocacy more than we need them, so they will come around.
  • Having been on both sides of this as former CEO of BPI I understand BPI has a business to run, revenue to generate for operations and programs while it also has to hold the bar high too for all. However, on the other side of this equation as someone who is not currently practicing but still works in the industry I want to lead by example. However I have had to let certifications lapse not just with BPI but other organizations because I can not justify the cost, time requirements needed to renew. I also do believe having 3 decades experience in the building performance industry should be recognized. Perhaps BPI might consider a retired or some non practicing/inactive designation with a one time fee be made available for those of us people in the industry who have been around for a few days and lapsed or are going to lapse. As a business for BPI its better than no revenue which is what happens and it keeps very knowledgeable people involved who want to be but can not justify the cost, requirements, etc. and promoting BPI. Just spit balling an idea!!!
  • good comments. That was my thinking. It also empowers those most seasoned to advocate for building analysis.
  • Considering the BPI Building Analyst Professional, Energy Auditor and Quality Control Inspector (and other) certifications, these are all both knowledge and practice-based. And the standards on which they are based evolve over time. So, it makes sense to me that BPI would require certification maintenance. But, this does bring up another opportunity for the development of a more senior knowledge-based certification or certificate.
  • I want to be a certified EE talker. We all know that talking about EE is a way more stable and lucrative job then actually doing it.
  • William, I also have 30 years in the field, but can no longer justify the cost of frequent re-certification. I have installed, administrated, and taught. Now I cannot think of a reason to re-up later this month. I do understand that BPI is a business, but it's doing nothing for my business. I like James' idea. It would keep me involved and connected on a level that makes sense at this point in my career and life.
  • Richard B.Richard B. Posts: 206
    Certification is good for our ambitious youth who want to learn more than what was taught at some manufacturer seminar. Everyone knows it's difficult to teach an old dog new tricks! ;)