Welcome to the Home Performance Forum.

This site is read-only for archival purposes. Please visit BPA Connnections to continue the conversation.

"Do Canadians use Nails?"

Richard B.Richard B. Posts: 206
edited April 2016 in Framing & structural
I use to believe Canadians were very advanced builders until I took a closer look at this building in the link provided. The amount of wood used to onstruct this building is unlike any building I've seen constructed in the northeast U.S and we see hurricanes!
Maybe this is why Canadians are big promoters of closed cell foam insulation so they have something to glue those sticks together?
Why would a building constructed with so much wood collapse in high winds with such strict building practices in Canada? Afterall Canada has some of the most regulated trades in North America.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/ ... -1.3546656

Comments

• Sean WiensSean Wiens Posts: 331
    Actually not that unbelievable. You will read that this was a large "two storey shop space". So probably wide open on 1st level with a mezzanine for offices. Probably not a lot of lateral bracing present within the interior of the building (walls). The pictures are limited but I do not see any temp diagonal strapping. Without temp diag bracing on and no sheathing anywhere, this would be a VERY unstable building. Very unusual to put a roof on before sheathing the walls. With the amount of wind resistance this huge building represented, this was inevitable without strapping in place.

Here is some better images http://www.winnipegsun.com/2016/04/21/h ... nstruction

Not sure the purpose of the 2x squares on the closest wall. It could be for lateral wind loads as there was a small chance that my engineer was going to require I did something similar to this until I clarified my local topography and therefore the ability to use a lower wind rating.
  • Sean WiensSean Wiens Posts: 331
    Sorry - looking close I see there is wall sheathing present. So either they have not followed the pans (with connecting hardware and such) or an engineer made a Boo-Boo.