Welcome to the new Home Performance Forum.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

RIP: Philips LED bulb. 8.5 years, ~18,000hrs

Who else has "old" LED bulbs out there? Anyone over 20,000 hours? This one had a rated life of 25,000hrs. I was planning on a couple more years of use.

Comments

• David ButlerDavid Butler Posts: 3,884
    @John, nice image, but it was 3.5MB (!) so I resized. I have yet to buy an LED (other than flashlights, etc). What does a 60 watt equivalent go for these days?
  • John SemmelhackJohn Semmelhack Posts: 150
    edited March 21
    Thanks, David. I'll figure out image re-sizing next time I post a photo.

60W equivalent LEDs go for as little as $2/ea (for those who won't care about durability or light quality)...up to about $4/ea for a good, Energy Star rated bulb from Philips, with 25,000hr rated life, and regressive color temperature dimming (my term for it....color temperature gets warmer as the light is dimmed...similar to incandescent). I think I remember paying about $25 to be on the bleeding edge back in 2008 for the bulb that just went out.
  • David ButlerDavid Butler Posts: 3,884
    For those who haven't been "won over" to the LED side, let's do some math. I spend at least 12 hours a day in my office (that doesn't mean I'm necessarily doing work!). Even with daylighting from a nice sized window, I need to use my ceiling light, which has two 60-watt equivalent CFL bulbs (1800 lumens total). At 12 cents per kWh, 14W CFL's cost about $7.36/yr per bulb to operate, so over 25 years, that works out to $184, plus about $4 for three 10,000-hr bulbs over that period = $188.

I found 8.5 watt Phillips LED's on Amazon for $24/6 (#459024, 900 lumens). They would cost $4.47/yr per bulb to operate, or $112 for 25 years + $4 for the bulb = $116.

No brainer.

The only reason I haven't upgraded my bulbs is because I'm finishing up on the plans for a new house. We hope to break ground this Spring and move in within a year. My current home is a rental, conveniently located next door to my site! I suppose I could install LED's in the high-use fixtures, then take them with me when we move. That way at least I could say I'm walking-the-walk o:)

It will be interesting to see what the lifespans actually work out to be. I've been using CFL's long enough to dis-believe the 10,000 hour ratings.
  • Just as a quick thought on LED bulb life - for every degree of temp above design temp that the "driver" hits you loose 10% off it's lifetime http://thehtrc.com/2012/alabama-code-and-misc-updates

As for buying some now - good idea to make sure you do like the light output. I pretty much just go "daylight" across the board as I can't stand that yellowish "warm"
  • patchesneypatchesney Posts: 7
    Do some research on the blue light spectrum and retina degeneration. I was saddened to learn of a possible eye-health negative with LED bulbs. I love daylight LED but the blue spectrum is potentially harmful to our eyes. Blindness is one possible consequence for many. Any computer screen or LED bulb generates blue light. They are even talking about CFL bulbs as well. There are often unintended consequences to the things we do.

There is a TED talk on blue light from computer screens

and there are studies in Europe, particularly one in Spain that is relevant. (Sigh)

I am now using this free software to limit blue light from my monitors.

interesting article here:
    https://www.reviewofoptometry.com/ce/the-lowdown-on-blue-light-good-vs-bad-and-its-connection-to-amd-109744

"Blue light, which is part of the visible light spectrum, reaches deeper into the eye and its cumulative effect can cause damage to the retina. Furthermore, in certain wavelengths, blue light is implicated in the development of age-related macular degeneration (AMD)...."

"Just as UV light is dangerous to our skin, it's also dangerous to our eyes. So it's important that we protect them from UV damage. UV light affects the front of the eye (cataract formation), while blue light causes damage to the back of the eye (risk of AMD).

Nowadays, there's an increase in the use of digital devices and modern lighting—such as LED lights and compact fluorescent lamps (CFLs)—most of which emit a high level of blue light. CFLs contain about 25% of harmful blue light and LEDs contain about 35% of harmful blue light. Interestingly, the cooler the white LED, the higher the blue proportion. And by 2020, 90% of all of our light sources are estimated to be LED lighting. So, our exposure to blue light is everywhere and only increasing."

As a counter-point, an article that praises the LED and doesn't buy the danger: (they do point out another risk -blue light interferes with sleep)
    https://provideyourown.com/2013/can-led-lighting-cause-blindess/

"When you buy LED lighting, be sure to get warm white LEDs. Unless you have special needs requiring the extra blue component, avoid cool white LEDs....

Because LED lighting mimics the sun, using bright white LED lighting sources right up until bedtime can interfere with normal sleep hormone cycles. The remedy is to shut them off an hour before bedtime and replace them with low wattage incandescent or even better – yellow LED lighting."

I would comment on this article that even though it is true that the sun has more blue light from 10:00 AM to 2:00 PM than an LED, you do not stare at the sun for hours at a time (computer) nor are you surrounded by bright sunlight constantly for hours as you are with daylight LED lighting in the home or office.

As in all things, research and come to your own conclusions. They now have smart bulbs to change the spectrum of the LED with a computer or smartphone so they will become warmer the closer to bedtime it gets and then bright blue light in the morning to wake you up. I guess it could be a good upsell for your consulting business. :)