Welcome to the new Home Performance Forum.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Undercutting prices

In our area, the average price of a HERS rating is around $500, the lowest I have seen is $395 and the highest was $750.

Recently, an established rater in the area sent letters to builders offering ratings at $195. I think this hurts the industry and devalues the product. Am I seeing this wrong?

Comments

• Julie TolliverJulie Tolliver Posts: 124
    @"Brad Brinke#" you are absolutely not "seeing this wrong".

If you are a rater, no doubt you have calculated your cost - labor, equipment, travel, overhead, profit and understand all that a quality HERS rating entails, so you know that there is no way a Rater can exist at that price point. Unless, he's got some secret sauce that reduces labor equipment etc? Is it possible to increase operational efficiency to a point where that would be a profitable model? That's something to ponder.

Now, you said "established" rater, but didn't speak to "quality". We do thorough and detailed seal and insulate projects. A few years ago a "competitor" offered "attic airseal" for $350 (can't remember the number exactly @"Jeremy Begley" do you remember?). My thorough scope, $3,500. His scope, $350. They're not "doing that work" anymore.